The idea for a community facility originated in 1935 when Barbara Hill led the effort to build a Girl Scout clubhouse. What was then called the “San Marino Girl Scout House” opened its doors for the first time on October 13, 1935.
Today Hill-Harbison House continues to serve 200-400 youth per week, including local Girl Scout troops, National Charity League San Marino, and other community groups. The facility offers several large meeting rooms, two kitchens, handicap-accessible restrooms, and lovely grounds; it available for private rental.
The Hill-Harbison House Fund is an agency fund at Pasadena Community Foundation, which allows local nonprofits to pool their assets in a larger, diversified, professionally managed portfolio with cost-effective investment management fees. The organization is the sole beneficiary of the fund, which can opt to receive an annual payout to support operations.
Gretchen Shepherd Romey, president of Hill Harbison-House and former Girl Scout leader, states:
“Partnering with Pasadena Community Foundation makes a lot of sense for our organization. Our all-volunteer board is constantly hard at work raising funds in order to maintain and make important improvements to this community asset. We want the nest egg we created to continue to support Hill-Harbison House in the future. PCF will help us achieve a secure, diversified investment portfolio with professional oversight.”
Learn more about the Hill-Harbison House.